Men's Articles

Memory Slipping


Alzheirner's disease, first described by German neurologist Alois Alzheimer, is a physical disease affecting the brain. In the early stages, victims may suffer memory lapses and have problems finding the right words when speaking. As the disease progresses, they may become confused and frequently forget the names of people, places, appointments and recent events. Communicating with others becomes difficult, language problems become more evident, and the ability to stay focused an follow directions becomes more challenging as well.

Symptoms of the natural aging process, such as difficulties with short-term memory do not progress into more serious symptoms. They may also experience mood swings or become withdrawn as a result of a loss of confidence or because of communication problems. So far, no one factor has been identified as a cause. Doctors put it down to a combination of factors like age, genetic inheritance, environmental factors, diet and overall general health. A new study of nearly 12,000 twins shows that Alzehimer's has a genetic cause in up to 80 per cent of cases.

According to the study data, which was based on the largest sample's ever undertaken in research of the disease, genetic influence accounted for 79 per cent of Alzehimer's risk. The other 21 per cent of risk was due to environmental causes. Many famous people, including former United States president Ronald Reagan and British novelist Iris Murdoch, have fallen victim to the disease. Alzheimer's is one of the main causes of dementia in older people.

Play Crossword Puzzles Often

The mental activity involved causes a hormone called serotonin to be released into the body, enabling it to prevent Alzheimer's. Regular exercise reduces the risk of dementia and Alzheimer's disease by up to 40 per cent according to research done by The University of Washington. Walking for 15 minutes three times a week is enough to cut the risk of dementia, the results suggest it may also help to delay the progression of the condition in people who begin to develop symptoms. Exercise may improve brain function by boosting blood flow to areas of the brain used for memory. Even if you are 75 and have never exercised before, you can still benefit by starting to exercise now.

Boost Your Memory

Ever lost your glasses only to find them perched on top of your head? Ageing, filet, stress and poor circulation all have a part to play in mental agility. Recent research suggests that the more chronic your stress, the more susceptible you are to memory lapses. Here's how to beat brain strain:

Dance

It requires both the mind and body to be active, which encourages alertness.

Check Your Pressure

High blood pressure can lead to cognitive decline in older people, but young people with hypertension are also at risk, say US researchers.

Sage Advice

The herb sage may increase levels of acetylcholine, a chemical that helps the brain transmit messages.

Go Omega

3 fatty acids in fish may reduce inflammation that can damage brain cells and lead to memory lapses.

Math Up Your Mind

Doing a few minutes of math each day can sharpen memory and stave off the effect of aging. Need to split the bill with your friends? Do it without the calculation!

Embrace Blackcurrants

It seems our mums were right to give us Ribena, that yummy blackcurrant drink we loved as kids. Antioxidants found in this berry could combat the oxidative stress that damages brain cells and leads to Alzheimer's, says scientists from New Zealand's Horticulture and Food Research Institute. The oil from blackcurrant seeds has also been shown to be effective in relieving arthritic pain. Berry Good!

 

Copyright � 2005 - 2006 Men's Articles. All rights reserved.